J-Q.com is an independent guide to consumer electronics, computers, the Internet, and related news. For the latest stories,
see the front page of our site, visit the Editor's blog, or follow us on Twitter. To reach us, send e-mail to:
Editor and Publisher: John R. Quain
Senior Editor: Rivka Tadjer
Associate Editor: Mark L. Lipson
Editor-at-Large: Mary Kathleen Flynn
Factotum: Samantha F. Quain
Advertising Department : Ad Sales
Press Announcements: Press Releases
John R. Quain writes regularly for The New York Times and U.S. News & World Report and is the on-air computer reporter for CBS News Up to the Minute, appearing on the television network’s overnight newscast for over 10 years. His articles have appeared in Esquire, Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, and Spin magazine.
JQ has been reporting on technology, consumer electronics, and related business news for over 25 years. He has appeared on Live! with Regis and Kelly, ABC News, CNN, MSNBC, and CNBC, as well as countless local news programs.
In addition to his on-air work, JQ currently contributes articles about business and technology to PC Magazine, Popular Mechanics, and Consumers Digest. Other publications JQ contributes to include Men’s Journal, Men’s Health, and Laptop Magazine.
Previously, JQ was a Contributing Editor at Fast Company magazine for 4 years and at PC Magazine for 9 years. He was also the technology columnist for Brill’s Content magazine, the gadgets columnist at My Generation magazine, the daily Internet columnist for Time Warner’s Pathfinder, and was the computer columnist at The Globe and Mail newspaper. Below is a bowdlerized C.V.
CBS NEWS UTTM Computer Consultant
February 1996 - Present
- on-camera correspondent for computer, Internet, and technology related segments on CBS News' Up to the Minute news show
POPULAR SCIENCE MAGAZINE Contributing Editor
March 2000 - March 2003
- edited and wrote the Computer News Front section and contributed feature articles
MY GENERATION MAGAZINE Contributing Editor
August 2000 - January 2003
- wrote Gadgets column covering computers, home electronics, and technology
BRILL'S CONTENT Contributing Editor
August 1999 - February 2001
- columnist for Next Tools, a review of technologies changing the media
FAST COMPANY MAGAZINE Contributing Editor
January 1996 - October 2000
- wrote the Power Tools section covering personal and business technology
PC MAGAZINE Contributing Editor
May 1993 - April 2001 Contributor: November 1988 - April 1993
- wrote reviews, features, and news for all hardware and software sections; consulted on testing
- JQ continues to write features and columns for the magazine
TIME WARNER'S PATHFINDER Columnist
February 1996 – August 1997
- wrote "Quain's Web Reviews," a daily Monday-to-Friday column about the Internet
VIDEO REVIEW MAGAZINE Contributing Editor
January 1991 - April 1992
- wrote monthly test reports and reviews; contributed technical advice
Associate Editor: October 1989 - January 1991
- directed, assigned, and edited Test Reports section; wrote features, reports, and movie reviews
Assistant Managing Editor: November 1988 - October 1989
- responsible for final edit of all copy; supervised proofreading staff; wrote Video Hunter column
AUDIO REVIEW MAGAZINE Executive Editor
August 1989 - May 1990
- responsible for editorial content, assignments, and editing of all articles and test reports
In the early years, JQ worked at The Village Voice and at United Media, where he toiled away on what was then called videotext, a precursor to watching the Web on TV. Since those days, JQ has appeared on countless local and national television programs including The Early Show, CBS This Morning, The CBS Evening News, and 48 Hours.
JQ's articles continue to appear in a diverse array of publications from Good Housekeeping to PC Magazine.